Watchlords
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Soviet movements

Go down

Soviet movements  Empty Soviet movements

Post by koimaster Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:50 am

Reviewed by Andrew Babanin

Having checked TimeZone and other watch sources I found that most visitors consider that Russian watches are unreliable, the Russians cannot produce good quality movements, most watchmakers know only several calibers: Ex Valjoux 7734 - Poljot 3133, quite common 2612 with alarm and Molnija - a pocket movement 3602. Somewhat it's true - Russia had stopped producing many calibers, designing new ones. The quality of finishing is bad, you can notice an aberrance in technological process, find replacements: for example some jewels are replaced on metal inserts.

Only Poljot tries to improve situation and still makes unique watches, pocket watches, marine chronometers. Otherwise Russia was very strong in watchmaking traditions and produced really interesting movements. For example, Russia became producing quartz watches at the same time like other countries, in 1975 Russians had started producing LCD and LED watches. Russia produced tuning-fork watches like Bulova Accutron. Also there were electric watches with balance. There were really interesting slim movements including self-winding. I'm not inclined to present you all movements but still...

http://www.horology.ru/en/articles/TZ.htm

http://www.horology.ru/en/articles/tz2.htm
koimaster
koimaster
Owner

Back to top Go down

Soviet movements  Empty Re: Soviet movements

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:55 am

I have a Poljot 3133 and really like it. Keeps good time and has a reserve of about 50 hours.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:35 pm

3133's are bullet proof an exceptionally accurate, so are the 2612's (mechanical alarm) family ... Historically, the stuff coming from Moscow 1 factory have been the best, nothing new on the lesser Russian brands and reliability issues.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:36 pm

Poljots of the world unite Laughing
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:28 pm

Wow. I was wondering about Poljot; I've had my eye on what seems to be a good deal on a Poljot with a manual wind for awhile now. I've been getting such differing opinions on Russian watches that I've never really known whether to take the plunge or not; I remain quite ignorant on current quality, yet willing to learn more.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:15 pm

I can't comment on Poljot as I have no experience, but I do have two Komandirskies and one Amphibia (all three by Vostok/Boctok).

Compared to other generally available watches in their quite low price range, I think they offer good accuracy, surprising durability (especially Amphibian) and excellent fun factor.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down